Friday, August 28, 2015

Dental Update: Dental Implant Surgery Begins...

And so the journey... I mean, dental implant process begins... Went for my operation on 26 August (2 days ago)... Good to have 2 dental doctors (1 doing most of the work, the other who seemed more experienced, giving advices along the way and supervising the process...) working on my operation, nice... I was given 3 medicine - antibiotics, swelling and painkiller, before applying gel and injection anesthesia... Then I was "blindfolded" (eyes covered with a face mask and some other stuff) partially, and can still vaguely see a bit of stuff through the holes... The doctors scrapped off tartar from the area first, then proceed to cut open the gum... And I was quite lucky that I did not need bone grafting (which the last 3D scan indicate I might need), so no need to have the wound to heal before putting in healing cap; save me a step... Next is the major stage... the drilling!!! Hahahaha... It seems they drill a small pilot hole first, then going using bigger bits to get a bigger hole... Fortunately I am used to the sound and vibration of drilling, so when the sound and vibration (felt by the bone) comes in, I am quite ok... I had a piece of something to "bite" on, so jaws were not so tired from keeping open... Once the screw is inserted in, a healing cap is placed over the top to cover the screw tip... During the tightening of the cap, I can feel the bone squeak sound (the sound you heard when you tighten/over-tighten a screw sometimes)... hahahaha... So the operation is done in about 1.5 hours, and frankly, it is a painless process, thank goodness... Given the 3 medicine to be taken at home, as well as a paracetamol medicine for just-in-case, and also a antiseptic mouth wash... So now waiting 2 weeks later to remove the stitches and 4 months later to get the crown done... another long wait...

3 comments:

Joanna said...

I can't imagine going through that with all that! Sounds scary. But I know there's nothing worse than having bad teeth. It's not only ugly, IT HURTS! I had an abscess once and I almost went out of my mind! I really like how dentists today can help everyone. Even people whose teeth really seriously need it!

Joanna @ Westheimer Dentist

Akuna a.k.a. AK said...

Agreed, and also very glad how technology has improve dental care process/ops so much that it is so much less scarier and painful for dental visits now...

Marco said...

The drilling at the dentist is always the scariest part for me. Luckily for me, my family was very firm about dental health and it helped me create life-long habits that keep my teeth healthy. It's important to see a dentist at least twice a year> Sometimes, cavities can be developing without you even knowing it.